Sunday, February 26, 2012

Writing about Writing for EDU 307


                When I think of writing, many things come to my mind. I usually enjoy writing, but there are also some times when I could really find better things to be doing that spending my time writing. I believe based on the topic and the teacher is where my motivation, good or bad, for writing comes from.
                When I have a good teacher for writing I look forward to doing assignments. This “good,” teacher is supportive of me and my writing. By this I mean that the teacher gives me a clear understand of what I am writing about. This teacher also provides good feedback on what I have already written and presented to him or her. This teacher also provides constructive criticism in a way so that I feel that he or she is helping me and actually out to improve my writing and what I have to say rather than to just put me down, and to make me feel like I am writing only for a grade. This “good,” teacher seems to like what I write and only focuses on a few things at a time for me to improve on and doesn’t expect something perfect on one shot. I have been fortunate enough to have many more “good,” writing teachers in my life than “bad,” ones.
                When I experience a “bad,” writing teacher, it really becomes a process for me to write anything, even a sentence, because I struggle with every little word I write, wondering if it’s good enough for this teacher. A “bad,” teacher to me does not give me a clear idea about what he or she wants, and picks on everything I have to say without providing any positive feedback, even if I do write something good. This sort of teacher makes me feel like I am writing for a grade and the grade will reflect if he or she approves on what I have to say, it makes me feel as if he or she is not interested in even helping me improve one thing about my writing and that he or she doesn’t care what I have to say. It discourages me and makes me not want to write anything, which is unfortunate because I do like to write and I consider it to be something that I am pretty good at; although we could all use some improvements.
                I really enjoy writing because writing gives me a way to express how I feel about a book or anything really, in many different ways. There are poems, creative stories, essays, and more to explain how I feel or to portray something about a book. Writing is something that is fundamentally important because it is used everywhere. As a future teacher I strive to be the “good,” kind of teachers who supports and encourages her students to enjoy writing. I want my students to enjoy writing and not dread their writing assignments. Because of this I plan to set few and small attainable goals specific to each student. I want my students to reach these goals and be proud when they do.
                Overall I really enjoy writing, and I want my future students to enjoy writing as well. I want to incorporate many types of writing within my classroom and to have students look forward to writing. Writing is such an important skill and I believe that it is something that needs to be important to ourselves and to children. Writing is a great way to express oneself and to let out how he or she may feel. Writing can be an important outlet of ideas as well. As a future teacher I take on the task of making my students enjoy writing as I do, and I look forward to reading their writing and helping them develop into the best writers they can be. Writing is fun, an outlet, and expression, and most importantly writing is writing, an immeasurably important skill to have!

No comments:

Post a Comment