Wednesday, February 8, 2012

EDU 307 Readers Workshop Post


Readers’ workshop is something that seems to be becoming increasingly popular in classrooms as the days, weeks, months, and years progress. As a future teacher not only do I find it interesting and informative to read and understand about how readers’ workshops function and what kinds of activities are included, but I believe that these are necessary, very important, pieces of information for me to pick up and understand before I enter a classroom and am expected to teacher future children how to, not only read and write, but to enjoy the reading and writing as well. So, how do I envision readers’ workshop?
The first and one of the most important things I envision in my readers’ workshop classrooms of the future, is joy. I want my room and spaces for reading to be inviting and comfortable for children. I plan on having a bright, colorful, open classroom, to encourage children to be happy, and comfortable when working within the classroom with myself and their peers. Next I envision my readers’ workshop to work mainly like the article, “Organizing for Effective Instruction The Reading Workshop,” describes. However I would like to differ from this model as I learn more through experience and as I learn what the children in my classroom need specifically. For the first part of sharing time I see myself introducing group reading books, that I will assign to children, and I envision sharing different themed books to spark new interests, like mystery books, or fiction, and so on, that children might be interested in to read on their own as well as in groups. The mini lessons are next. In mini lessons I see myself addressing issues on how to be good effective readers and how to get the most out of the books being read. The role of mini lessons within my classroom will be to address the issues and concerns that arise as lessons and books come and go. I want each mini lesson to be individualized to what is being done in class on that day or during that week. That way I can specifically address questions or difficulties students are having, while we are doing the activities. I also want mini lessons to be a time to address and do activities that the curriculum requires because regardless of everything, there is always some part of the curriculum that must be followed. Overall I see mini lessons as little pieces of the puzzle that help children learn to read and write and enjoy it at the same time, I see mini lessons as ways to quickly address problems, needs, and concerns as they arise.
Continuing with the readers’ workshop model presented in the article, I like the idea of State-of-the-class, however I would probably implement this type of instruction differently. Overall I would not have students sign up on their own or as they needed. I would personally like to observe children while they doing their readers’ workshops and make appointments as I see necessary, of course I will make a point to meet with every single child. However there are always some children who may need more individualized time than others, and it may be important to recognize and provide this. It will also be important to meet with each child about the same number of times as others though to ensure that no one is being left out or that others don’t take notice if someone is getting more individualized time than others as it may create bad attitudes towards myself or the child receiving the time. It is my goal to treat all children equally and fairly and to make them feel as if they are being treated that way as well.
SSR I would love to have in my class as appropriate. I would defiantly implement this by having reading logs to see progress and to make sure children are reading and doing the work to ensure they aren’t goofing off or doing other work. I would also love to have them do some responses in reading notebooks or something like that to see what they think about the book and to see if they understand what is going on with what they are reading. And finally sharing time is definitely a MUST at the end of the readers’ workshop. Not only to I want to hear what the kids thought of their books and what is going in the stories, but I want the other children to hear and share what they have a well. This way the children can all relate and know what is going on with each other. All children can be involved and it will be something enjoyable to look forward too after successfully completing their work.
All in all I envision readers’ workshop as bits and pieces of what others suggest and what l like and what fits the needs of my students. A sure thing that I realize now and I’m sure it will be confirmed in the future is, readers’ workshop is a necessary part of the classroom. it is my job to integrate it into my class in fun and enjoyable ways, and I look forward to learning more about readers’ workshop and making it a part of my fun future classroom!

2 comments:

  1. The author of your blogs and articles and contents is appreciating.
    ppi claims calculator

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely feel ecstatic when I find articles relevant to my work and my subject.
    ppi claims calculator

    ReplyDelete