Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What and Why do I Read for EDU 307


                What and why do I read, that is a good question. Over the years I have read many books, articles, magazines, and so on. So what are these things that I read, you ask (or my professor asks anyway)? Well as far as articles, I’d have to say I read random articles here and there, some my mom sends to me that she comes across, others that I happen to come across on the internet, and then articles I’m presented with for school. Overall they vary in what they are all about. Sometimes the articles are about celebrities, sometimes animals, other times education, and anything else you can imagine. As far as magazines go I really only read Cosmopolitan, I read the articles and the advertisements that the magazine contains. It seems to be pretty interesting. However most of my reading comes from books. I like fiction and nonfiction, some historical texts, some psychology texts, and of course some education texts. The history, psychology, and education texts mostly come from my classes at school, and they vary in their degree of interesting. Some things are repetitive so I enjoy them less than other novel information that they provide. However some other books I read that are not for school includes, the Harry Potter Series, The Freedom Writers Diary, books by Nicholas Sparks, the Twilight Series, and more. However those are the books I have most recently read. Obviously there is a mix of fiction and nonfiction.
                But why do I read these articles, books and magazines. Well I read articles for school mostly because I have to for class, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t interesting, because most of the time they turn out to be pretty informative. Other articles I read for pleasure, or because I’m bored and I happen to come across them while I’m playing around on the internet. Cosmopolitan I purely read for enjoyment. When I have time or am bored I can pick it up and spend some time going through the pages mindlessly, not really worrying about retaining the information like I would for a school assigned reading. Certain books though, that are assigned for school I read because I have to. However now that I am in the SED/EDU collaborative program they have all become more interesting because they all pertain to the field that I am going into, so I don’t mind actually having to read most of what I am assigned. Books like Harry Potter, Twilight, Freedom Writers, and Nicholas Sparks books, I really read for enjoyment. While am still retaining the information so I can understand what is going on in the story, I am enjoying actively reading the book. I like to read because it is fun, I enjoy getting lost in someone else’s story, or a made up tale, it is almost a way to escape my reality for a few minutes and take a break from everything that is going on in my world.  While I am reading I get to be a part of a different world, and not worry about my troubles. Reading allows me to remove myself from stress. I really enjoy reading because it is fun for me.
                Overall I liked to read many different things, weather those things are articles, magazines, or books; they are all interesting and fun. I really like to read them for enjoyment, to learn, for pleasure, an as an escape to a new and exciting world that I don’t experience in my life day to day. I am lucky to have grown up enjoying reading and liking to read. As a future teacher I hope I can instill a love for reading into my future students so that they can enjoy reading as much as I do. It is a fun and priceless experience. Not only does it help students to learn but it also provides a fun and stress free activity, something that becomes increasingly important to have as demands grow for someone. I enjoy reading and I hope many of you do as well!
Happy Reading!  

No comments:

Post a Comment